VMWare Workstation - 64-bit alert

Virtualization has been such a popular method nowadays to run different operating system in one computer. With this, we could have a Windows Vista desktop that could run Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, Linux, etc at the same time. This is such a brilliant piece of software engineering. There's a lot in the market nowadays either it's commercial or open source that could do virtualization, even Microsoft is aiming at it too.

I'm using VMWare to create a few virtual desktop to host different OS for development and testing purpose. It was fine until recently when I'm trying to create 64-bit virtual desktop. I tried to create a 64-bit virtual desktop on a 64-bit server, a very powerful server (dual Xeon processor with Hyper Threading, 8GB memory), that I thought it should be easy, and again I was wrong.

Although it's powerful, VMWare tool that I used was giving me warning that the server could not create the 64-bit virtual desktop. I was puzzled because it is a 64-bit machine, so why it can't? So I searched for information, and found out that in order to create a 64-bit virtual desktop, not only that the hardware needs to be 64-bit capable, it must supports virtualization as well. In my case, because the server is running on Intel processor, it must have EM64T, which it does have, and it must have Virtualization Technology, which it doesn't. Because of this, my creation of 64-bit desktop was halted indefinitely (too exaggerated).

So, now I know that in the future, if I'm going to create virtual desktop for 64-bit machine, I need a machine not only supports 64-bit, but needs to have virtualization technology too. So don't simply buy a cheap 64-bit machine for that purpose.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yahoo! Messenger voice call & video call disabled, why?

Sport's Injuries - Treatment for bruises

Web Development: Disable, Validate, & Enable Buttons