SQL - SELECT withi a SELECT

I was trying to re-write some of the stored procedures for one of my office project the other day to exclude certain unwanted entries. It was done in such a manner.

SELECT *
FROM [table_A]
LEFT JOIN [table_B]
ON [table_A].column_id = [table_B].column_id
WHERE [table_A].column_c NOT IN
(
SELECT [table_A].column_c
FROM [table_A]
WHERE [table_A].column_c LIKE '%something'
OR [table_A].column_c LIKE '%somethingC'
OR [table_A].column_c IN ('value_A', 'value_B', 'value_C')
)

I tested it in the SQL 2005 Manager Console, and it works fine. I tried it out as well on the actual website, and it does work as well. However, it did a significant drawback that I was not able to notice. This statement will not return anything, or throwing an exception saying "Timeout operation" when it was trying to return a large number of rows.

I can't figure out why it doesn't work when it was executed from another media, i.e. a ASP.NET C# codes, and it's really baffling. The reason why I wanted to do it as the above is because I wanted to have the code clean, and I could just simply copy & paste the sub select code to a new stored procedure. Because of this problem, I have to re-write the code again to exclude the sub select and put in extra conditions under WHERE clause.

I don't really know if it's the SQL problem or it's the .NET Framework problems because my friend told me that it was SQL, but as far as I noticed, if it's SQL problem, then it should throw "operation timeout" as well when it was executed within the SQL 2005 Manager Console, so why it doesn't?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yahoo! Messenger voice call & video call disabled, why?

Sport's Injuries - Treatment for bruises

Web Development: Disable, Validate, & Enable Buttons